Boating Safety Checklist
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Boating Safety and other Boat topics.
What should be included in a boating safety checklist?
Before a boater takes to the water for fun and relaxation, he or she should always check a boating safety checklist, which should include the following items:
- Tell someone where you are going. This is necessary in case of an emergency.
- Check the lights on your boat trailer and on the boat.
- Check the steering and throttle control functions.
- Check for oil leaks in the engine.
- Check for fuel leaks, which could occur in or around the fuel tank, the lines, and the carburetor.
- Check hose clamps and connections.
- Drain the engine area of water.
- Be sure the plug is inserted.
- Check the fire extinguisher.
- Check the number and condition of all personal flotation devices.
- Read and adhere to the posted weight capacity before boarding passengers.
For personal water crafts, the same boating safety checklist items should be applied and in addition the stop button and ignition safety switch/lanyard is in working order.